Pages

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Who'd want to wear somebody else's clothes?!

 Shirt, Sunglasses & Necklace - Vintage
Skirt - Topshop
Shoes - New Look
Ring - Swarovski

It's no secret that vintage shopping is one of my favourite activities, and I have previously posted my tips on how to buy vintage (here). But now I'm more interested in why it's such a good idea, and honestly it has so many benefits. I hear countless people say they don't like the idea of wearing somebody else's clothes, but a quick wash and there's honestly no difference. I fully understand the appeal of new clothes, believe me, but vintage has had a revival for a reason - I'd say it's the best way to go. On the most superficial level it's probably the only way to make sure nobody else will have your outfit (unless you can actually afford haute couture that is!). Since fast fashion really kicked off in the last few decades it's been nearly impossible to be entirely individual, and however much you love an item it really does lose it's special quality when seen on six other people. Vintage is entirely unique, and that also makes it a lot of fun to shop for because you never know what you might find! It's also usually a lot friendlier to your bank balance, especially if you mix shopping in "official" vintage stores and hitting your local charity shop, which makes it easier to live on a budget and easier to try new styles.

Going in a little deeper, I will just say that this week I watched 'The True Cost' and was truly shocked at what goes on in the production of clothing and just how damaging the industry can be to people and to our planet. Obviously we can't boycott clothing, but it has me thinking that with the sheer volume of secondhand clothes around it isn't necessary to be producing new product at such a high volume and such an unsustainable speed. So maybe, just maybe, buying vintage can help. There are so many beautiful clothes out there already that are just dying to be worn! Reusing what we already have makes so much more sense than churning out more and simply trying to find ways to get rid of the old items. Giving something a new lease of life can be fun, can help you find your own style, and it takes a little pressure off the industry. I'm not trying to say we can't - or shouldn't - buy new, I'm just advocating a healthy balance of vintage and new, and maybe a little more consideration when we buy because clothing should not be seen as disposable!

Tara India xo


No comments:

Post a Comment