Pages

Saturday 22 August 2015

Casualty of fashion?

 Jacket, Sunglasses, Socks & Shoes - Topshop
Dress - Forever 21
Necklace - Vintage
Ring - Swarovski

Jokingly or not, I've heard the term 'fashion victim' bandied about and it's become quite a cliche. It's all too easy to get caught up in the idea of fast fashion, the seemingly never-ending cycle of seasons with increasingly quick drops - there seems to be an obsession these days with having the best, newest thing as soon as it comes out. It's not just in fashion. Everything seems disposable, made to be bought, squealed over, used up, and either thrown out or replaced within a few months or years. I feel like I've been vocal lately about avoiding this for the sake of others, but how about for the sake of ourselves?

Unsurprisingly, most of us don't have the budget for this kind of constant purchasing and it can be quite depressing. Levels of clinical depression and anxiety have risen with the increasingly fast, consumer society, so I don't think I'm out of place saying that whatever the adverts say it won't make us happier to buy buy buy! The best way to feel better and happier in ourselves and our lives is to escape this constant pressure to have the latest items, the need to impress with newness. I reached this point a few years ago when I realised that paying my bills and eating dinner has to take priority over it-bags, and honestly I feel much better when I just wear what I want regardless of whether it's exactly on trend. Sometimes to be honest I really hate certain trends (pool sliders - ugh!) and I'm never going to give up my personal taste just because something is a "must-have"! And I always find my favourite looks come from people who don't follow fashion - 'fashion fades, style is eternal' - because trends die in months, but beautiful things will last a lifetime. So, after a bit of rambling on, I'd say it's easy to become a fashion "victim" as such, but it's far more stylish to buy what you like and wear what makes you feel good. Rewear your favourites, ignore trends you hate, and develop your own personal style instead of blindly following the crowd. It's difficult to do, but you'll feel ten times better when you escape the pressure.

This outfit is one of the reasons I rambled on in that vein today - it has become one of my go-to combinations over the past few weeks, and it mixes cute classics that might not all be totally current but make a look that feels fresh and festival-ready (if only I was going to one!). This dress is one of my favourite easy-wear pieces, it's totally versatile and florals will never go out of style! To prep for this incredibly temperamental English weather we're having I opted for my current favourites - the denim jacket and cute metallic sandals with socks!

Tara India xo


No comments:

Post a Comment