Pages

Sunday 19 July 2015

Finding my metier.

 Top, Bag & Sunglasses - Topshop
Skirt - Vintage
Shoes - Asos

 Featuring a much more relaxed look from Vienna last week, proving that on holiday I really do simplify things - exemplified most by my pared back makeup and lack of jewellery. This skirt is usually far more dressed up, but I love it so much that I had to bring it with me and wear it! This feels like it's going to be quite a 'life-update' blog post because I haven't been able to post much in a while, and may not be able to since I am currently so busy studying at the Conde Nast College of Fashion & Design! I'm doing the 4-week Summer Intensive Course and I don't think any of us were prepared for just how intense it would be..

I won't tell you all of what I'm doing because if you want all the information I highly recommend the course! Suffice it to say that it's been five days and I've already heard talks and lectures from some of the Vogue fashion team, Angelica Cheung, Dr Neri Karra, and Suzanne Lussier - it's been fascinating, informative, and I'm so excited to go in every day. The projects and technical skills (such as photoshop) are quite challenging, but also stimulating, and it's really confirming for me that I want to work in fashion. It's a fast-paced, exciting industry that appeals to my creative mind, my love of art and words, and it has always drawn me - but one week at Conde Nast and I've got my heart set on it!

I have one serious point to make now - fashion is not frivolous. If you talk to anyone who works in the industry (whether theoretically, designing, publishing, styling etc) or even pick up a copy of Vogue and read the articles you can see that it is a pivotal part of popular culture, commenting on the key issues in society today while cleverly linking fashion to art, history and all aspects of culture. Also let's not forget it's a multimillion dollar industry headed by some incredible people with genius minds for business - it combines art with precision and marketing. The influence and insight of fashion is incredible, and does not deserve to be treated as some shallow fun. Yes it is fun, but it's so much more. And just because you enjoy dressing well does not make you shallow or frivolous either!

Tara India xo

No comments:

Post a Comment