Pages

Tuesday 30 December 2014

Faux is the way to go.

Headband, Top, Skirt, Coat & Shoes - Topshop
Bag - ASOS
Lipstick - Mac 

I’d just intended to write something light-hearted about how I tried this faux fur headband on for a joke and ended up falling in love with it (which is totally true), how I love its retro-glamour and almost unintentional practicality, and how I’ve been convinced for most of my life that I am not a hat person – which I am now disproving! However, I sat down with my laptop and ended up thinking more about principles than image... I am a born and raised ethical vegetarian (I’d go vegan, if not for wine, chocolate and ice cream!) and personally refuse to wear fur or leather. If I’m not eating it, I’m not wearing it! I honestly don’t see the attraction in wearing another creature’s skin – it’s almost macabre, and completely unnecessary. I’m sure the production industries for synthetics are causing our poor planet some trouble, but there’s no point saving it if we are destroying its beautiful inhabitants for our own vanity. This is now no more than some kind of cry for the fashion industries to stop using leather and fur, or at least create without those materials for those of us who don’t want to be limited by our principles (Topshop, I’m begging you for some vegan shoes!). I’m trying not to be preachy, but honestly, give fur a miss – stick to faux: equally warm, equally soft, and a fraction of the price anyway!
Tara India xo

2 comments:

  1. I am not much of a vegetarian, but I am Canadian. So the only use for why I could see using fur and leather is useful if because I live in a country where we understand that it isn't a waste to use such thing, when you are also using the whole animal for other things (for example, food and such), which is what Canada's native tribes up north do for survival. That said, as I am neither native or living up North, I do not condone the use of fur and leather in my climate and especially from companies that only ever use the animals for such purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From that perspective I have less of a problem with it, like when the Native Americans used to use every part of the buffalo. But since I'm not eating the animal I have no desire to use any other parts of it, especially when some animals such as snakes etc will have been killed just for their skin.

      Delete