Pages

Wednesday 10 December 2014

Baby, it's cold outside..

Coat, Jumper & Shoes - Topshop
Skirt - Vintage
Bag - Longchamp

I'm completely in love with this vintage skirt I picked up in Camden Lock - it makes me feel like a some kind of retro angel, or a mermaid (hence my co-star in this set of photos!) and is so floaty I can almost forgive the winter gales for making it swirl around my legs as I walk. Speaking of winter.. being a southern girl I'm still not quite hardened to northern winters (yes, I class Birmingham as the north!) but I've picked up a few tips for fighting off the freeze on the walks to campus and long days out in the arctic wind that pervades this city, so I thought I'd share them. They're mostly girlie tips, but that's my area of expertise...

1. Always wear as many pairs of tights as you own.
I surrendered my love of bare legs months ago, but now one pair of opaques just won't cut it - I've been wearing three pairs at a time for days! It also means you can avoid the hassle of shaving your legs!

2. Lipstick is like armour for your lips against this cold.
Usually come winter I'm slathering on balm and moisturiser to keep my lips from cracking in that attractive wind-blown way, but I've taken to wearing lipstick whenever I go out and it really does help, as well as keeping your pout warm.

3. Faux fur is not just on-trend.
There's a reason faux fur hits the catwalks for winter - it's cosy, comfy, and feels like a hug. I've been wearing this coat almost every day and the collar really keeps my neck toasty.

4. Sometimes, practicality comes first.
Never did I think I'd say this, but sometimes you have to dress for warmth. I'll never understand people who go out bare-legged or without a jacket at this time of year - surely it's better to check your coat than get pneumonia?! In the daytime a jumper is a necessity, or at least a few tops layered up, and when the evening strikes and I'm walking to work (as I will be tonight) I'm usually wearing about 3 tops under my bar t-shirt, a coat, scarf, gloves, tights under my jeans, and a few pairs of socks. Maybe I've got old, but nothing is quite worth freezing anymore.

Tara India xo

No comments:

Post a Comment