Pages

Monday 22 September 2014

Changing for dinner.

 Top, Trousers & Socks - Topshop
Jacket - New Look
Shoes - River Island
Bag & Ring - Vintage

I think it's no secret that underdressing is not in my nature, but I'm expanding that to say that I even dislike it on other people. Seeing people wear jeans to events, or tracksuits on the streets, really makes me long for the decades past when the standard of dressing was so much higher to go out - my grandparents and great-grandparents wouldn't be caught out of the house without a hat, gloves or lipstick, and I love that aesthetic. Obviously, fashion these days is a lot less restricted, but we can still dress well in the 21st century, and dress appropriately for the occasion (even though I overdress!). I rarely go out without makeup, I consider my outfits and always put a few minutes into jewellery, perfume or the right bag, and honestly it is worth sacrificing a little sleep. Any day could be the day I get a selfie with Lana del Rey, or run into the love of my life, so why would I want to regret my appearance? Why not look my best every day?

I'm clinging to one of those old values here - changing for dinner! I think day and night still have different dress codes, and I don't just mean in the club. Going out for dinner, or for a drink, allows for a bit more glamour and somehow as the light wanes we can get away with more elaborate dressing and makeup. I took full advantage in my new Topshop houndstooth trousers (which remind me of a modern Marilyn) with a black top, Chanel bag and red lips, while the chunky sandals do keep it in this century. Maybe I'm outdated, maybe society is more relaxed these days, and maybe in 50 years time nobody will bother with dress codes, but I'm keeping up my appearance and my overdressing!

Tara India xo

No comments:

Post a Comment